Thursday, January 04, 2007

Well, I Did It

And I did it in December, thanks, NOT January, so you can stop with your "let's see where you are in March" jokes right now, thanks.

I joined a gym. I actually used to be a member of a gym, but it was close to my house. After a while, I realized part of the reason I rarely went was because I felt most inclined to work out in the middle of the day. Thus, I need to join a gym close to work. As it turns out, LA Fitness (gah!) is close to work. AND close to home (you can go to multiple locations, yo!).

I'm actually excited about the one near me because it has a lap pool, so I've already been a-swimmin' in it. I'm not sure swimming is really going to improve my Ultimate game, but it sure does wear me out.

I also tried out the StairMaster Stair Mill (that's just an awful name, isn't it?) today. EQC and Wood were talking about this recently- it really is brutal! It's not the traditional StairMaster but the moving staircase one. HARD. I'm pretty psyched to try this out for intervals and possibly even for working on speed. Wood (or anyone else), what do you think? Could that be an adequate substitute for running stadiums/hills as fast as possible?

1 comment:

wood said...

Kat and I are LA Fitness members as well. I like the Stairmaster, I call it the escalator. I don't think it's necessarily a replacement for running stadiums, stadiums are higher intensity for shorter periods which I think will help you more for increasing power/speed. However, the escalator would be good for building strength and endurance. I would suggest upping the intensity and not doing more than 15 minutes or so.

I think swimming would be good, I'm going to try and swim some. You should try the volleyball plyo program. The jumping rope exercise is viciously hard, but the others aren't too bad and I like the pool one, as long as you don't mind looking like a complete dufus.