Thursday, May 11, 2006

Laying Off the Quads

So the saying goes (Michael Wood, you are the stuff of LEGENDS, I tell you!): No one in Atlanta Ultimate is in danger of overtraining.

I'm sure we could find a few exceptions, but this is probably true (assuming that we are doing exercises correctly and all that stuff).

However, I have heard and read a lot over the years about general over training of the quads. I'm not sure if this is primarily a female issue, but I think it has less to do with straining the quads and more with underdevelopment of other leg muscles.

In that spirit, I decided that while none of my muscles are currenlty being overused, I should probably take care to focus specifically on other muscle groups. Thus, I dipped back into the Ozone library for some hammy, glute, and posterior chain exercises.

The result? My quads still felt the most sore at the end of the day!

However, I do know that my glutes and hammies did get a workout cause I can feel it. But I think I must still be relying heavily on my quads to get through some of these exercises. Anyone else having this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to really isolate these muscle groups- that don't involve machines not mentioned below (since that's about all I have!)?

For anyone who is interested, here's what I tried:

Hip Ab/Adductor machine - 3 x 12 each way

I love these, although the range of the machine in my condo workout room is awful. And somewhat off center. I have long legs, dammit!

Hamstring leg curl machine - 3 x 10 on each leg

This machine is also sort of craptacular and especially wobbly because it doubles as a leg extension machine as well, but hell- it gets the job done.

Romanian (stiff-legged) dead lifts - 1 x 10 (3 sec lower; 2 sec hold; 3 sec return)
This is performed with barbell in hand, legs greater than hip width apart. The first movement is initiation of anterior pelvic tilt. This is performed by thinking about ‘sticking your butt out’ and then sitting back. Keeping a straight back and the knees flexed to 10-30 degrees, the weight is lowered to knee level. The lifter will feel a sensation of the hamstrings stretching. The position is held and then the body position is returned to the start.

I did these incorrectly last time, so I'm looking forward to doing them again now that I understand the motion (it only took reading through it 8 times).

Reverse dumbbell lunge - 2 x 12 per leg
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand with arms at sides, palms facing in. Step your right foot back 2 to 3 feet, keeping your weight on your left foot. Lower right knee until it’s just above the floor; press up with left leg to return to starting position.

I had a really hard time doing these without feeling like all of the work was being done by my quads. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ball leg curl - 2 x 10
Lie face up on the floor with heels centered on a stability ball, arms out to sides with palms down. Lift your pelvis up until your body forms a straight line from hells to shoulders. Use your heels to pull the ball toward you as you bend knees toward chest. When you can’t bring the ball any closer to your butt, return to starting position.

I have no idea how this is working lower rear muscles, at least the way I was doing it, but I may keep doing it just because it's so hard to stay balanced (maybe that's how it works? Hell if I know). I love a challenge!

Bi-planar lunge with overhead press - 2 x 6 per leg
Stand erect holding a pair of dumbbells at your sides. Lunge forward with your right leg, then curl the dumbbells to your shoulders. From there, flip your wrists and press the weights overhead. While still in the lunge position, lower the dumbbells down to your sides (reversing the press and curl along the same path). Push through your right leg to return to the start. Then perform a lateral lunge with your right leg and reach over to touch the dumbbells to the floor, one on either side of your foot. Return to the start position, then alternate legs.

These were awesome. But again- I feel like I'm doing too much work with my quads when I'm supposed to be working the stuff in the back.

1 comment:

wood said...

I think the problem with women and overdeveloped quads is that the inner quad is underdeveloped in relation to the outer quad. Couple this with women's wider hips, and you get lots of knee problems. One easy exercise to do to work on inner quads is a straight leg lift, with your toe pointed out. If you're having knee problems ladies, this will probably help.

As for more hamstring exercises, there's one I like that uses a physioball. Lay on your back with the ball under your calves or thereabouts. Straighten your body, then, keeping your upper body and hips straight, bend your knees pulling the ball in. Then straighten the knees back out. Start with 10 and see how it goes. Try not to use your arms too much to keep your body up.