Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fatty McFatterton

So since I'm the only girl posting (but certainly not reading, right ladies?), I won't bore all the men with my sob story about how I don't fit into my clothes and yet nice people insist that I shouldn't be dieting because we now give skinny people are harder time than we do morbidly obese people. Or that I've never even been within 10 pounds of the weight I'm currently carrying in my entire life until very recently. Cause that's girl talk.

What I am trying to find are the following:

1) Good core strengthening exercises. This would be a lot of ab work, but more than just situps. I know some pilates, and that's good stuff, but I'm wondering what else people have found that works best. I have access to a medicine ball, free weights, and one a' them big fitness ball things.

2) Good quad/hammy/and glute strengthening . . . plyos, I guess. I quit my gym membership, so I'm working out of my condo fitness room now, and we have a dearth of leg machines. I'm not too torn up about it, but I don't want to waste my time on lunges if they're not really worth the time. Etc.

Even book recommendations would be welcome. I know Evil mentioned the Verstegen book- what was the final verdict? Is there something folks would recommend more highly?

And just so we're clear- my current BMI is 23.6. Underweight? Not even close.

1 comment:

wood said...

Core Performance is a good book. It's good good core exercises, unsurprisingly. You can do them all at home with what you've got plus some dumbbells. There are some strengthening exercises that you might be able to use with your condo's fitness room.

Nothing wrong with lunges, do side lunges and crossover lunges too though. You're definitely going to want to build up your leg strength some, but eventually you're gonna want to do plyos in my opinion. It'll help improve your quickness and help you avoid injury. I can help you come up with a plyo routine sometime if you like.